It is possible to get free design resources for your postcard printing. From a professional template, to all the other design elements you would require.
Many of these resources are available free with no strings attached over the internet. Let me tell you precisely the different places and aspects where you can get these free resources. We will go into each type of free resource that you might want so that you can pick what you need.
1. Free desktop publishing applications – One of the first things that one needs to create color postcards is of course a design or desktop publishing application. Now, in this part, I recommend that you go for something that is paid since they are all a lot better. However, you can use some free ones out there if you are really starved for cash. Here are two of the best and most popular that you can use.
a. Open Office
– If you need a whole suite of software that is similar to Microsoft Office, then OpenOffice.org is for you. Its Writer application and Draw application can be used.
– Something akin to InDesign and QuarkXPress, Scribus is one of the best FREE desktop publishing applications out there. With the proper settings, you can use this to design easily.
2. Free image manipulation programs
– Since color postcards need very precise images, you will probably be hunting free image manipulation programs when you can. While the best are still the paid ones here, two great looking image programs can easily fit the bill for free image editing.
– Gimp is one of the most popular open source design applications and most consider it the free version of Photoshop. While there is a learning curve here, gimp still remains to be the best for most people looking for high functionality in a free image-editing package.
– Inkscape is one of the best alternatives to Gimp when it comes to graphic design. While it can handle mainly vectors and shapes just like Illustrator, Inkscape should also be handy for most photographs, albeit with limited filters.
3. Free high-resolution images
– While there are TONS of free images on the Internet, most are in low resolution. That is why most people are actually gunning for free high-resolution images whenever possible in their design. There are sites out there that can help you find what you need. The best one I would recommend is Morguefile.com as it always delivers high quality free images with just a quick search.
4. Free font styles
– Fonts are an essential part of creating a good theme. Luckily for us, there are tons of free font resources out there ripe for the picking. While some of these font databases share similar fonts, most are updated regularly so you can pick some really great and fresh new font styles typically in the process.
.com – Good collection of categorized fonts
.com – Great creative collection of free fonts
.com – Massive amounts of fonts free for download
5. Free postcard templates
– If you are looking for postcard templates, the best way to do so and get them free is to look for postcard printing companies online. These firms will have several types of color postcard templates available free. Some of course will require you to order from them, or register for a newsletter, but most will just provide them with no strings attached. Just use a search engine to get the most number of postcard printing companies that you can access in your area.
6. Free formatting advice
– If you need some formatting or design advice, free, the best way to go about it is to go look at design forums. These design forums are typically thick with professionals and newbies, asking each other questions. Here are some of the forums that you should look at.
a. Graphic Design Forums
c. Your Design Forums
d. HowDesign Forums
Try to enjoy these free design resources. There are plenty of options so browse and see what is best!
Kaye Z. Marks is an avid writer and follower of the developments in postcard templates
and postcard printing
that help businesses in their marketing and advertising campaigns.
Article By: Kaye Z. Marks